The history of Manaus begins in an Indian village, around the Fortress of São José da Barra in 1669. The fortress was built to ensure the field of Portugal crown in the region, the area of the confluence of the Rio Negro in the Amazon and Solimões and controlling the entrance gate of the western border of the Amazon, reserved to Spain (1494), the Treaty of Tordesillas.
The town that has developed in the vicinity was named San Jose de Rio Negro Bar (Bar Place) and in 1832, under the name of Our Lady of the Conception of the Rio Negro Bar, the village was elevated to the category of town. In 1848 the village of Barra was elevated to city status, with the city name of the Rio Negro Bar, to receive in 1856 the name of Manáos in honor of the Indian nation of Manáos (Mother of the Gods), considered the most important ethnic group inhabitant of the region, historically recognized for their courage and bravery.
Quickly, the existing village was transformed into a city of intense commercial traffic and urban developments. In addition to the social commercial companies, financial institutions, means of transport, the sanitation structure and airy squares and sidewalks, Manaus had an intense cultural life. The capital of the Amazon already offered significant infrastructure.
In the heyday of rubber, Manaus lived his glory years with wealthy inhabitants. The city had five great fun houses for its 50 thousand inhabitants and was among the best served capitals in terms of entertainment, especially when faced with other capital cities such as Lisbon (11 houses for 500 000 inhabitants) or Rio de Janeiro (11 houses for 800 000 inhabitants).
The fortress that led the city disappeared in ruins around 1850 in a fire, resulting in a building that currently belongs to the administration of the Port of Manaus.
Source: Viva Manaus